With respect to DIY and home improvement jobs, there are certain tools that are needed to keep ones home in order.
One of such tools is the popular power drill. An upgrade on the power drill is the Impact driver.
These two tools are very similar but the Impact driver makes work easier and faster.
What’s the difference? You ask.
The differences between these two tools ascertain why the Impact tool is a very important tool.
Impact drivers deliver powerful rotational forces to drill holes in strong materials and loosen large screws.
In this review, you will learn:
- How to reduce the tip speed of this tool
- The difference between a power drill and an impact tool
- How to be eligible for the lifetime warranty of this tool
The Ridgid R86034 is a wireless ¼ inch battery powered impact driver.
It has a capacity of 1,750 pounds-feet of torque and it comes with a lifetime service and 3-year warranty if purchased from Home Depot.
Its torque of 1750 is higher than that of the DeWALT DC825B.
It has a detachable belt hook and a LED feature which makes work easy.[toc]
Its speed can be varied based on how hard you press the speed trigger.
This tool can be used for many household activities, thanks to its massive impact range of 3,100 IPM and its high torque.
Apart from its attractive LED light which stays on for about 10 seconds, the Ridgid R86034 is very portable and can be used for a variety of jobs.
Its rubber grip exerts more friction to enable you to get a better grip irrespective of the environmental conditions.
To get this device working, simply insert the Philips hex bit, compatible batteries and attach a fastener.
This device is quite rigid and comfy to hold and use.
Similar to the Ridgid 5X, its 18 volts and 2 batteries keep it running for long.
It is perfect for driving screws as long as 4” into concrete and wood.
Durability is another strong point as the Ridgid R86034 has been known to fall distance of 14’ without any damage.
It weighs 2.7 pounds and measures 12 x 3 x 9 inches.
Ridgid R86034 Testimonials
I already own the drill set for the Rigid 18V. This is why I only purchased the tool. If you don’t own the charger and battery, this might not be the best of deals. That apart, this device is quite impressive. This is the first time I am owning my home and I am not so familiar with these power tools and their working principle. I wished I was more familiar with them. This tool does cause any physical discomfort and it is very good. Carrying out my jobs is now easier as I don’t have to exert much effort. The only issue this has is the lack of lifetime guarantee as I didn’t purchase it from Home Depot and didn’t even register with Ridgid. However, I am not too bothered as the price is a big bargain. Overall, I am very impressed with this product.
Click here to read the original testimonial from M.S. Alam
This is the 3rd one of the same type that I own. I don’t have 3 because of multiple failures; I have 3 because I am impressed with these drivers and I use them in various locations in my workshop. They are not only used for screw-driving; they can also be used for drilling if you purchase the perfect ¼” bits. I am still searching for strong bits as all the ones I buy keep breaking. Nonetheless, I am happy with this device. I used Dewalt previously but I couldn’t resist this offer of purchasing the Rigid impact gun, charger and batteries for a cheaper price. I switched sides and I have no regrets. I am a very heavy user and use my tools very frequently. This device has really served me well.
Click here to read the original testimonial from Mike Callery
I regularly utilize this device for drilling and screw-driving into mild steel. The problem with it is that it doesn’t drive more than five screws before it gets heated up and starts malfunctioning. It needs about 30 minutes to cool down before driving another 4 screws and heating up again. I sent it to the manufacturers for repair and they got back to me saying there wasn’t a fault with the device. They didn’t have any problem test running the device. During the process of repair, I purchased a $20 driver to use and I had no problem screwing over 20 screws. Apart from the above issue, this device is easy to use. Light and charges very quickly. I hope I would be able to use it for other light jobs.
Click here to read the original testimonial from DeLuckyOne
- It is very easy to insert and eject bits into the Ridgid R86034. This can be done by sliding the collar and pushing the bit when through with work.
- Its 25-minute fast charge feature is quite impressive.
- Unlike other impact drivers, the R86034 has an autonomous trigger for lighting. This makes work easy in tight and dark regions.
- Its detachable belt clip can be attached to the left or the right side. This makes it easy to use for either left or right-handed people.
- It has a simple rubber patch which helps improve handling in wet conditions. It also prevents the tool from easily dropping.
- The Ridgid R86034 has a variable speed trigger which enables you to choose from any impact ranging from 0 – 3,100 IPM. This feature enables one to attach various fasteners without any difficulty.
- The batteries are not really durable as they have been known to fail easily.
- The collar of the Ridgid R86034 isn’t magnetic and doesn’t hold on firmly to bits. Bits keep falling off this impact driver.
- It is not strong enough to be used for heavy-duty jobs.
- The gears of this device keep making a lot of noise. The Dewalt impact DCF885C1 is a low noise device.
- Reducing the tip speed can be difficult. This can be corrected by using an impact driver clutch accessory.
This tool has about 89 positive reviews and 13 negative reviews. If you can ignore the minor complaints, this tool is a good buy.
The Ridgid R86034 is a very impressive device which offers quite a lot. It gets more interesting if you previously have an old set of Rigid tools.
This device makes it quite easy to drive fasteners as it boasts an insurmountable amount of torque.
The runtime is not impressive. But what this device lacks in runtime, it makes up for that with its superfast charge time of 25 minutes.
It is also very compact as its body is a bit longer than most impact drivers.
All in all, the Ridgid R86034 exudes quality and certain features such as its impressive design, rubber patch, compact size and its fast charging attest to this.